Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I Can Learn The Bible by Holly Hawkins Shivers, Illustrated by Becka Moor






I Can Learn The Bible  came to us at the perfect time.  My daughter is outgrowing her children's storybook Bible and I was starting to think about getting her something with a little more "meat".  She sees my husband and I doing our Bible studies so she was very excited to get her own devotional book.  

There are 52 chapters in this book so that a child can focus on one chapter each week of the year.  A chapter begins by introducing the scripture for the child to remember that week.  The rest of the chapter focuses on breaking down and explaining the verse(s) for the child in a way that is easy to understand.  It also includes a very short prayer for the child to recite.  


At the beginning of the book is a letter to the parents explaining that it was written for parents and children to read together.  The author also gives her suggestion for a weekly schedule using the book.  This is really helpful for parents and would be especially great for those who are new to learning the Bible themselves.  


The only thing I would change about the book is the scripture translation that they used.  Almost all scripture quotations are from the International Children's Bible.  I would prefer that it used The New King James Version or New International Version.  My daughter is already familiar with some of the scripture in the book, but the translation that is given is definitely throwing off what she has already learned.  I am writing the verses down in NIV on a separate sheet of paper so that she can choose which translation feels most comfortable for her.  John 3:16 is the memory verse for the second chapter and a good example of this issue.  
Here is the quotation presented in the book:  
"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son.  God gave his son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life."
This is the NIV:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
and this is the NKJV:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life."
It also presents Genesis 1:1 as : "In the beginning God created the sky and the earth."
This may not seem like much of a difference, but when you already have a little bit of an imprint on your heart and mind, those minor changes can really throw you off. 

Overall, I am very happy with this book and believe my 7 year old will enjoy using it throughout the year to not only memorize but also understand the Bible.  

I review for BookLook Bloggers

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLookBloggers.com®  book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment