Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Queens 5K Romp

On Sunday, Marlie and I participated in her first 5k!  There's no better first race for a little girl than one that involves tutus and tiaras.  Candle Queen is a gift boutique here in town and they host the Queen's 5K Romp to raise money for The Farmers House.  
Marlie's not much of a runner yet and didn't really understand how far three miles was.  A few weeks ago I took her out for a practice run of 2 miles because she insisted that she could run 5!  Of course about 1/4 of a mile in, she was begging to stop.  Once I got her calmed down, we tried running one minute then walking one minute.  That worked great for her!  She completed the two miles and had a better understanding of what to expect on race day.  

The night before the race, I gave Marlie her bib and showed her how runners like to lay all their clothes and gear out.  She thought that was fun and has continued doing it for school every day.


We had planned on meeting up with my friend and her daughter before the start of the race.  However, my friend got sick so her daughter went with us and Marlie enjoyed hanging out with a big girl.    


I was still a little sleepy eyed before the race but we were ready to run.  Most of the ladies wore tutus for the race.  I admit that I'm a slacker and never got around to getting some for us.  Marlie had her tiara on though so she didn't seem to mind.  


We did it!  Marlie was a rock star for her first 5k and I was a proud mama!  She had a great attitude the whole time and the 1 minute on/1 minute off worked well for her again.  Hopefully as she gets a little stronger, we can incorporate more running.  My goal for her this time was just to have a lot of FUN and enjoy her first race experience!  


Marlie was excited to get a medal of her own to hang with mine and Bryan's collection.  






1 comment:

  1. I wish I'd known about this race. It looked like tons of fun! And your daughter is too cute! Good for her!

    ReplyDelete