Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Go Ahead and Call Me Crazy...

I feel like I've been keeping a secret, which is something I can't stand to do.  For a few months our little family has been working on something privately.  We're now at the end of one phase and the beginning of another, so I feel like it's time to share.
On May 20, I finally made the decision to call our local agency and inquire about how we could become a foster family!  (There will be another post coming to share what brought us to that point.)
The first step in becoming licensed here in Kansas is participating in 30 hours of PS-MAPP training.  PS-MAPP stands for Partnering for Safety and Permanence - Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting.  The class is broken up into 10 three hour sessions.  I was just a little caught off guard when the worker told me that the next class would be starting the following night, May 21, and asked if we wanted to be in that one.  Bryan & I freaked out a little bit then decided that if we could get a babysitter, we would go.  At that point we had talked to a local teen about babysitting, but had never actually used her!  She agreed to come the following night and has been a huge blessing to us ever since then.
Our big textbook...
Last week we completed our PS-MAPP training and this weekend we will have the second of our 2 home visits.  We are currently finishing up our licensing packet aka a lot of paperwork.  After that we will have an official home inspection basically just to make sure our house is safe for a child.  From what I understand it's not nearly as strict and thorough as an adoption home study.  It is possible that we could be licensed and available to accept a placement as soon as next month.
We have decided to license for only one child that is younger than Emma.  I was very surprised to learn how specific you can be when deciding what you are or are not willing to accept.  It seems as though the state really wants the families and their placements to match up as well as possible.  We are open to any race or gender but have yet to decide what we are comfortable with as far as reasons the child came into care and their medical needs.
Every day that we are closer to being licensed, I wonder if I've lost my mind.  We are also still trying to figure out the logistics of having an extra child in the family.  What makes it even more interesting is that it could be anywhere from a newborn to a 1 1/2 year old!  We still need to get another crib and car seat just for starters!
...and big licensing packet!
What I do know is that God is calling me to serve in this way and to love on these little ones when they need it most.  We are terrified and excited but trust that He will provide and guide us when we don't know what we're doing!  Please pray for us as we move forward, but especially pray for these little ones and their families as we try to care for and minister to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment