Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist

I recently joined Booksneeze and was able to select a book to review.  When I was looking through the available titles Bread and Wine jumped out at me because I had recently heard the book mentioned by some other ladies.  I didn't know anything about it and honestly didn't have high expectations for it.


Here's what I've been telling my friends since I finished the book.
1.  If you like food, read the book.
2.  If you like to cook food you should really read the book.
3.  If you love Jesus and food, you must read this book!

This book is like a memoir in that Shauna tells a story in each chapter.  What makes it even better though, is that most chapters end with a recipe!  

As I read, I smiled and I got choked up, but most of all I was nodding my head because I could relate so much to her experiences and beliefs.
I was only on the first page of the Introduction when Shauna hooked me:
"I'm a bread person...  And I am a wine person...
More than that, I am a bread-and-wine person.  By that I mean that I'm a Christian, a person of the body and blood, a person of the bread and wine.  Like every Christian, I recognize the two as food and drink, and also, at the very same time, I recognize them as something much greater - mystery and tradition and symbol.  Bread is bread and wine is wine, but bread-and-wine is another thing entirely.  The two together are the sacred and the material at once, the heaven and earth, the divine and the daily."
There are so many pages in this book that I have marked because they spoke to me so strongly.  I won't share them all, but here are the last two paragraphs that I made notes of.  In the chapter titled, "What Money Can't Buy" Shauna talks about those who are experiencing true hunger and serving with more than just food.  This is something that has been on my mind A LOT in this season of my life and I believe that's why it resonated with me so much.
"The church is at its best, in my view, when it is more than a set of ideas and ideals, when it is a working, living, breathing, on-the-ground, in-the -mess force for good in our cities and towns.
That's all we can do: start where we are with what we have.  We have so much more than we need, and we spend a lot of our time managing our stuff, picking it up and and organizing it and finding places for it.  That's not how I want to live.  I don't want to stand by, choosing to be ignorant.  I want to stand with, choosing to be a part of the solution.
After I read a book, I usually pass it on to someone else.  (Moving as often as we do, books aren't really a good thing to accumulate.)  This book will be one of those rare ones that I hold onto.  I'll definitely want to read it again, but I also want to keep it for the recipes.  Last weekend I made Nigella's Flourless Chocolate Brownies and hope to try all the other recipes too!


                                  






No comments:

Post a Comment