Thursday, May 30, 2013

School's Out for Summer!

Summer vacation has officially arrived for my kindergarten graduate!  This first week has been pretty hectic so hopefully we won't maintain this pace all summer.
I've said it before, but I want to share again how proud I am of Marlie and the year she has had.  She started the year in a PreK/Early 5s class at a church preschool.  She thrived there thanks to the environment and her wonderful teachers.  The second half of the school year looked very different though.  Our move from Georgia to Kansas meant she would be transitioning to kindergarten at an actual elementary school - K through 6th grade!
The first few weeks were exhausting for Marlie since she was in school from 8am to 320pm and she had previously just been going half days.  She enjoyed taking her lunch to school, eating in the cafeteria and even getting to buy lunch one day per week.  We were blessed with another great teacher who definitely helped her adjust.  In addition to her main classroom, Marlie loved having 'specials' each week like science, library, art, music and PE.
Although we weren't comfortable with her riding it both ways yet, we also allowed Marlie to ride the bus home from school in the afternoon.  She definitely enjoyed how this made her feel like a big kid.  (Luckily for me, the bus stop is directly in front of our house!)  Marlie also enjoyed going on a field trip to Ernie Miller Nature Center, participating in the kindergarten music program, having field day and showing off her talent of hula hooping in the school variety show.
I think I'll always be nervous about her being the youngest in her class, but she makes me look silly for worrying.  One staff member at school told me that Marlie is definitely a leader among her peers.  When we had our parent-teacher conferences at school, I was pleased to learn that Marlie is reading at a 2nd grade level and her teacher considers her to be one of the top 3 readers in her class of 21.
I'm so glad that Marlie will be able to stay in one state/school/class for her first grade year, and I can't wait to see how she continues to thrive!

First day of school (August 2012)

Last day of school - May 2013

1 comment: