Thursday, April 4, 2013

We Love Books!

If there's something I think my girls can never have too much of it's books!  We started reading to both girls long before they ever had a clue what we were saying.   They have always been happy sitting in our laps with a book and Marlie's first word was actually "book".  Although she is the youngest in her kindergarten class, her teacher told me she is easily reading at a 2nd grade level and one of the top 3 in the class.  I believe our huge supply of books at home is part of the reason for her success!

My girls have been blessed to receive books from the Ferst Foundation and Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.  Through the combined efforts of these organizations, children from birth through 5 years old receive one free book each month.  If this program is available in your area, sign your kids up!

I am also a huge fan of the PaperBack Swap website.  It is an online book swap where you can post books that you no longer want.  When someone requests one of your books and you mail it to them, you earn a book credit.  With your credit, you can then find a book in their database that you would like and request it.  One of my favorite features of the site is their Wish List.  When I learn of a book I would like to read, I add it to my Wish List.  Once another member lists that book as one they have available to share, PBS notifies me that it is available and I can immediately request it.  I am always receiving books for myself and often get them for the girls too!

Now that I've shared our favorite ways to obtain books, here are some of the ones we enjoy!

I'm Going to Run Away by Joan Hanson
This was one of my favorite books when I was kid.  Although it went out of print in 1978, I was so excited to find a copy online when I was pregnant with Marlie.  

                                       

God Gave Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren
This is another one we bought and it just makes me want to cry every time we read it.  It is such a sweet story of how God blessed the bear couple with their baby.  There's actually a whole series of God Gave Us books and I would love to get my hands on some more of them!


Here are a few that relate to our life as a military family:

Over There by Dorinda Silver Williams
This book is a great resource for a military child coping with a deployment and it is offered in a Daddy or Mom version.  Don't bother trying to buy this.  It is a free resource at your local military installation.  It is usually available through ACS, CYSS or your FRG.


The Soldiers' Night Before Christmas by Christine Ford and Trish Holland
I know this is a seasonal book but I love it too much not to share.  The Night Before Christmas is a Christmas tradition at our house. We have also celebrated a few Christmases without our favorite soldier so we like to read this and remember those that are away from their families during the holidays.


Don't Forget, God Bless our Troops by Jill Biden
Although this my seem like a book just for military families, it's actually the opposite.  It helps everyone  get a glimpse into the life of a military child while her father is deployed.  



What are some of your favorite books for children?

No comments:

Post a Comment