Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mama's Vegetable Soup

I'm not a big soup eater, but when it's cold outside, I love a big bowl of my Mama's Vegetable Soup.  It actually makes for a super healthy meal, but when you serve it with some good cornbread, this soup becomes the perfect comfort food.  I'm posting the recipe the way my mom gave it to me.  It's actually more of a list of ingredients than specific measurements and directions.  You can adjust the amounts to what you like and still have a great end result.  This soup is quick and very easy so give it a try!

The last few bites of a big pot of soup!
Mama's Vegetable Soup
1 can (15oz) whole tomatoes *
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1/2 can water
1 can corn (we use Green Giant Niblets)
1 can (or less) green sweet or early peas
okra (cut up, frozen)
salt & pepper, to taste
sugar, to taste (maybe a Tablespoon or a little more)
ground beef (We use a pound or a little less, because Bryan likes it with a lot of beef!)

Brown ground beef and drain.

Add all ingredients to a large pot and cook on medium to medium-high heat.  After the soup has simmered for a while, cut up the tomatoes to the consistency you like.

Cook the soup until everything tastes done, especially the okra.

*I prefer not to fool with cutting the tomatoes, so I usually just buy a can of diced tomatoes instead.

I know that this recipe is very general and some people would prefer more specific instructions.  If you have any questions about how to make the soup, just comment and I will be glad to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment