Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bleach Pen Shirts

I've recently been hearing/reading about bleach pen crafts.  I wasn't sure what it was so I went searching online to learn more.  I found a fun easy craft that I thought would be perfect for Marlie for Valentine's Day.  You can make a shirt just for fun or any special occasion.  I also saw where someone let the kids design a t-shirt for dad for Father's Day.  That may be our next project!

To begin, all you need is:
1. a shirt
2. a Clorox Bleach Pen
3. a washable marker (optional)
4. a piece of cardboard or plastic (optional)

The pen can be found in the laundry section of your grocery store.  It will probably be located with the stain removers.
For the shirt, I would recommend checking out a local thrift store.  I wanted to get M a red, long sleeve shirt that was close to her size and found quite a few at our thrift store on post.  This one set me back a whopping 50 cents!

Once you have all your supplies, you are ready to get started!  I laid the shirt flat for M to work on and stuck some card board on the inside so the bleach wouldn't soak through to the back of the shirt.

Since it was our first attempt at a bleach pen project, we decided to go very simple and just draw a heart.  I found a washable marker and M traced her heart on the shirt first.  Obviously, you don't have to do this step.  I just thought it may help her avoid a potential meltdown if she made a mistake using only the bleach pen.



Now you can just go over your marker drawing with the bleach pen.


After you've finished your design, let the bleach set on the shirt and work it's magic.  I think we left ours on for about 15-20 minutes.  This is one of those things where you just have to see what looks good to you.

Once you're satisfied that the bleach has been on long enough, rinse it off with cold water.  After rinsing M's shirt, I threw it straight into the washing machine for a cold wash.  After a round in the dryer, we had our finished project!  M was so excited to wear her very own fashion design to school for Valentine's Day!



The bleach pen shirt was a quick and easy FUN craft!  I think M would agree that she would love to do this again.  

Does this look like something you would enjoy doing yourself or with your kids?  Would you make it for an occasion or just for fun?  What will your design be?

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely doing this with my kids sometime soon! I have seen this before (and probably have it pinned somewhere) but just hadn't gotten around to it. After seeing how great yours turned out I know I really want to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lots of fun and so easy! I hope y'all enjoy making your own!

      Delete