Saturday, February 9, 2013

Make Your Own Snow Globe

I call myself a wannabe crafter.  I really wish I was a crafty person, but that's just not a talent that God blessed me with.  Every once in a while, I'll give a craft a try though.
Last year I came across this tutorial for making homemade snow globes.  I thought it would be fun to do with Miss M.  Little did I know, it would come to our rescue during a dramatic 5 year old's crisis!
We took a family trip to Zoo Atlanta last August.  We told Miss M she could choose one souvenir to buy and she chose a small snow globe.  As we were climbing into the car to leave, she dropped her snow globe!  The glass shattered and Miss M became hysterical.  As I was trying to calm her down, I somehow remembered the snow globe tutorial.  I assured her that we would make her another snow globe.  She calmed down and trusted that her mama would make it alright.  The pressure was on!

This is what we started with.  You can use any figurines that you would like for the base of the snow globe.


The only other things you need are a jar, water, super glue, liquid glycerin and glitter.    

I would have liked a jar with smooth, clear glass, but I just decided to use a small canning jar we already had.  

We glued the figurine to the lid and let it sit for a day.  The next day (or whenever we actually got around to it) we also glued the lid to the ring that would hold it on.  

After we were sure that was dry, we filled the jar with water and added a few drops of liquid glycerin.  I got the liquid glycerin at CVS.  I couldn't find it myself but as soon as I asked a store associate for help, he walked straight to it.  

I took Miss M with me to Hobby Lobby to choose her own glitter for the globe.  The color she wanted was only available in very fine glitter.  I didn't know any better so I allowed her to get that kind.  I would not recommend getting the finest one though.  It just doesn't have the same "snowing" effect that  larger glitter particles would.  

Screw the lid on tight and you're all done! 

Here is our final product.  It's not too bad for a second life snow globe, and now I know what to improve on for next time. 


This post was written as a part of the Show Us Your Life series at Kelly's Korner.

No comments:

Post a Comment