Wednesday, February 27, 2013

dotMom

I have been wanting to go to Lifeway's dotMom conference for a few years.  Between moving and having Emma, I just haven't been able to get there.  When I knew we were moving to Kansas and found out that dotMom was going to be in Texas, I was determined to go!
The devil tried his best to prevent me from making it, but thankfully the Lord provided!  Due to the winter storm last week, my flight to Dallas on Thursday was cancelled.  When Bryan got home from work on Wednesday evening, he encouraged me to go ahead and drive to Oklahoma.  My friend, Marcia, lives at Ft Sill and was going to drive down and pick me up from the airport on Thursday night.  Instead I arrived at her house around 1am on Thursday morning and spent the night/morning.  After Marcia got off work on Thursday afternoon we drove down to Dallas.
We checked into our room at Towne Place Suites in Lewisville, Texas.  This was my first time staying at Towne Place and I was very impressed.  The whole hotel was cute and trendy and a great price.
On Friday morning we got up and headed over to the Embassy Suites in Frisco.  The conference kicked off just after lunch and continued until almost 5pm on Saturday.  We were refreshed, encouraged, uplifted and challenged by worship, breakout sessions and general sessions.
Travis Cottrell and his band led our worship.  We sang a mix of popular contemporary Christian songs and traditional hymns.  The music was SO good and you could just feel the presence of the Lord in that room!
Our speakers for the general sessions were Angie Smith (who I was so excited about seeing!), John Croyle, Vicki Courtney and Priscilla Shirer.  We were inspired and challenged by each speaker and I hope to write more about what I learned from their respective sessions.
The breakout sessions were a great opportunity for us to hear from speakers in smaller groups.  On Friday I learned tips on home organization from Kathy Peel, and Sissy Goff led an awesome breakout called Raising Girls.  Our breakouts on Saturday started with Fashion for Moms which was lots of fun and led by Melanie Shankle, and the last session of the weekend was Sex & Marriage by Blake & Ronique Wilson.
The weekend went by too fast, but I am so thankful that I was able to experience dotMom.  It was a much needed break from my wife and mom duties.  However the best part was getting to experience the conference with 2 of my dear friends from when we were all stationed together at Fort Campbell.  During the little time that we weren't in the conference, we were eating, (speed) shopping, and of course staying up late talking!
There will be a second dotMom conference held in Chattanooga, TN later this year.  If it is at all possible for you to get there, you must go!  I am already looking forward to dotMom 2014!


By the end of the weekend, our minds and hearts were full!

No comments:

Post a Comment